Thursday, September 29, 2011

The politics I was talking about in my first post!

Dear readers,

Since I'm really bored, I'll tell you about the politics in Belgium.

First of all, they're speaking about splitting Belgium, because of the language issues. The Flemish and the Walloons can't get along for some reason (this is mostly just politics, but some people really 'hate' the other-language-speaking-co-inhabitants-of-Belgium).

Flemish can't stand Walloons because they don't want to learn Dutch and we, Flemish, have to learn French from when we're 10 years old. Also, the Flemish can't stand the Walloons, because their tax money goes to Wallonia for the biggest part. So simply said: the Flemish have to pay for the Walloons. Those are the 2 most important reasons why Flemish people can't stand Walloons.
Then they argue about a few cities around Brussels (known as B-H-V, which means Brussels-Halle-Vilvoorde). Now -or at least before they 'solved' the problem- these cities don't really have an official language, but they ARE part of Flanders. So now, the Walloons want these cities to be part of Wallonia, AND they want Brussels to be both part of Flanders and of Wallonia (which is nearly impossible to me). So this B-H-V is what caused our little country to have the title of 'longest time a country can't form a government' (or something like that, it's really a World Record, we surpassed Iran), I think we have no government since May 2010 or something.

Now, 2 weeks ago all papers were full of 'B-H-V has been split'. And so I read the article about it, and seriously, even my dad didn't understand how or what. There were 2 things that were going to change, something about reforming the senate and something about the mayors. But really, we didn't understand why they had to negotiate for 1,5 years to just decide these stupid things and saying that the problem was solved.

Of course, you could have expected. The people who live in these cities got on the streets the very next day, to protest. Because once again, politicians didn't listen to what the people want. And so, some German paper decided to compare Linkebeek (one of the cities there) with the Gaza Strip (the article is in my wall photos but it's in Dutch). I mean what the hell, comparing some city in Belgium with this War Zone. I mean what was he thinking?

So yeah well, that's basically the situation in Belgium…

I wonder why I know these things, I don't care about politics... I should get a life…:D

Write you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment